lunes, 13 de julio de 2009

Critical issue: Braun struggles after comments

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/50684547.html

St. Louis — Milwaukee Brewers leftfielder Ryan Braun doesn't have many weeks when he bats .120 but he insisted Monday that his recent struggles had nothing to do with his conflict with general manager Doug Melvin.
"Baseball, individually and as a team, you go through stretches where you're going well and not going well," said Braun, who will start Tuesday night in right field - not left - for the National League in the All-Star Game.
"Over the last week, I didn't swing the bat very well but I don't think it had too much to do with anything other than just not swinging the bat well."
The final week before the break began on a tough note for Braun when Melvin blasted him in an interview with the Journal Sentinel for remarks made in Chicago after the Brewers lost three of four games to the Cubs. Braun said Chicago's starting pitchers were "clearly better" than the Brewers' and implored Melvin to make a trade to shore up that area.
An irate Melvin called those remarks "inappropriate" and said he was "ticked off" by them. Braun and Melvin met later that day to discuss the issue and afterward Braun issued a public apology.
During the ensuing six-game home stand against St. Louis and Los Angeles, Braun managed just three hits in 25 at-bats (.120) with no runs batted in. When it was over, Brewers manager Ken Macha suggested that Braun might have been trying too hard to produce after the public criticism by Melvin.
Braun agreed with the analysis of his effort but not the reason behind it.
"I always try too hard," Braun said. "That's just inherently who I am; that's just in my character. I think I'll always be that way.
"I have high expectations for myself. I always have; I always will. At times, of course, that can get me in trouble."
On the subject of high expectations, NL manager Charlie Manuel inserted Braun in the cleanup spot in the starting lineup, behind St. Louis slugger Albert Pujols. Referring to his recent skid, Braun feigned worry about Pujols seeing strikes.
"Albert might not get much to hit in this game. That might be trouble," Braun said. "Poor Albert. He's probably not going to see too many pitches to hit, even in the All-Star Game.
"That's pretty cool that (Manuel) thinks enough of me to put me in the cleanup spot behind a hitter that's that good."
The Brewers' all-star traveling party increased Sunday when closer Trevor Hoffman was added to the NL squad, replacing injured Los Angeles closer Jonathan Broxton. Team owner Mark Attanasio arranged a private jet for Braun, Hoffman and first baseman Prince Fielder, who made the squad as a reserve and participated Monday night in the Home Run Derby.
That group included Braun and brother Steve, an injured Brewers minor-leaguer; Hoffman, his wife and three sons; and Fielder, his wife and two children, a babysitter and mother-in-law.
Of Attanasio, Braun said, "He's extremely generous and an unbelievable owner. He's competitive and wants to win, which first and foremost, is all you can ask for. He has gone above and beyond all of our expectations."
Chanel Fielder said the plane was so crowded that her mother, Sandy, sat in the cockpit during take-off and landing.
"We gave her two rules: no talking and no touching," Chanel said with a laugh.
Getting his seventh all-star nod, Hoffman was as excited for his three sons as he was to suit up for the game. One of his sons, Quinn, sat with Hoffman when NL players were made available to talk with reporters during a morning session at the team hotel.
"I'm absolutely excited," Hoffman said. "I was a little worried why Macha was calling me into his office (to give the news). I was kind of hoping something like this would happen and it ended up coming true.
"My boys are old enough to see all these guys' faces on television and it's exciting for them to get to see what it's all about. For me, you don't take something like this for granted. I'm excited to be here and I want to participate and do well."
Asked how much velocity the NL bullpen lost in going from the flame-throwing Broxton to a changeup artist, Hoffman smiled and said, "It's kind of scary to think about. You're not going to get any tickets with my speed, put it that way."
With four first basemen on the NL squad, including Pujols - who figures to play several innings - Fielder wasn't sure how much action he'd see in the game.
"This is Albert's town, so if he needs to play the whole game, I would have no problem with that," Fielder said.
"I'm just here to enjoy it. If I get in, I get in. If not, it's no big deal.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Seguidores